Healthy food forms the building blocks of a healthy body. Good nutrition and a balanced diet are important components of overall health. Insufficient exercise and improper nutrient intake, especially during adolescence and early adulthood, can significantly increase the risk of chronic ailments like osteoporosis, a disease that causes bones to become brittle and crack or break easily. A balanced diet must be rich in carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, mineral salts and fiber, in correct proportion. In every day life poor nutrition can lead to weight gain, frequent mood swings and increased levels of stress. If you are cautious to limit sugar, salt and fat intake and include enough of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, whole grains and other healthy foods in your diet, you will enjoy increased health and vitality.
The basic and easy to adopt dietary facts will help you gain a control over your health.
- Have a variety of food: different variety of foods will fulfill your nutrient needs and make your meals enjoyable. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables every day. Rotate between all five vegetable sub groups, that is dark green, orange, legumes, starchy vegetables, and other vegetables. Don't stick to just one kind of food this will make you feel stuck.
- Regularity in meals: do not skip meals. Three meals and two light snacks will keep the digestion process alive. Do not leave a gap of more than four to five hour between each meal.
- Avoid over eating: learn to listen to your body. Whenever you are hungry the body gives you a signal similarly, whenever you are full the body will give out a signal. Learn to recognize that signal and stop eating there and then.
- Increase water intake: water plays a vital role in maintaining proper health. Drink lots of water.
- Restrict sugar consumption: Too much sugar in the diet interrupts natural vitality balance, causes headaches, mood swings. if had in large quantities it leads to sugar sensitivity problems such as hypoglycemia and diabetes mellitus. It is advisable to get into the habit of making use of natural sweeteners like honey to stimulate the sweet tooth.
- Avoid food high in fat: Some foods are higher in fat than others. Fats and oils, and some types of desserts and snack, contain high fat and provide calories but have limited nutrients such as butter, margarine, potato chips, fried food and junk food.
Taking good care of yourself is mandatory! The above tips are all required to maintain a healthy, happy, and prosperous life. At this point itís important to remember that this is about smashing those bad habits of the past and building good habits for the future.